15.11.2012

Touring India, Day 1


View Larger Map Highway 4 from Mumbai to Pune: 6 lanes, doing kilometers!!! Mumbai itself... pain in the ass... ferry not taking bikes across atm, had to drive all through 'town'... was hoping for a huge sign that said "THE FUCKING REST OF INDIA", but didn't see one. Just kept heading towards a feeling of north east and took the right turn I guess...

Highway 4 after Pune is still nice but lots of construction going on and a lot of traffic. Didn't want to take it actually. I wanted to go straight on highway 17 but somehow it seems I missed a turn. Then decided to go by Mahabaleshwar but didn't expect the mountains to be that high... The road via Panchgani is extremely beautiful leading through lush valleys, green fields and old trees next to the street! Well worth it. Then the mountains of course boasted majestic views!
That's my bike by the way! 2005 Honda Unicorn, 150ccm, 13bhp, 45km/l. It says 15000km on it but that can't be trusted.

But obviously the road up there (and especially the one down) was horrible and took forever, so it got dark and I stopped at some shitty restaurant/hotel along the way for too much money. The first thing I saw in the bathroom was a cockroach quite a bit bigger than my thumb, must have been at least 5-6cm and it even took 3 hits from my flipflop to die. But little did I know that the place was actually quite beautiful: The view from my balcony



river behind the building



That's it for today, heading off for the third day of driving soon, will post more and longer posts!

Keine Kommentare: