26.11.2008

Kathmandu to Bangkok

After quite a few days in Kathmandu I was more than happy to leave for warmer weather. But that was not to happen until I witnessed some riots in Kathmandu after the bodies of two youths missing since a couple of months have been discovered. The alleged murderers are thought to be members of the Young Communist League (YCL). I don't see the reason but the students forced a general strike and were roaming the streets of Thamel with bricks just when I was waiting for my 'Mixed Club Sandwich'-breakfast.
Soon after police forces were everywhere and it got calm again.

Police in front of the (former) King's Palace - notice the remains from the bricks on the street.



More - notice his tear gas-whatever-launcher


closed shops after the riot


empty streets after the riot


Kathmandu and Bhaktapur street scenes






After someone attempted to steal my beloved Pulsar which I carelessly parked in the streets near the hotel I was not in the mood for a lot of driving anymore. The repair was only 40 Euros but still it's awkward. I spent one day on a small Pulsar (while mine was being repaired) and had a final look on the snowy peaks from Nargakot and went through Bhaktapur on the way back.


Thai Airways brought me safely from the tiny farm-style 'airpot' in Kathmandu to the huge temple of steel, glass and light which presents itself as an impressive monument of modern culture built for eternity in Bangkok. After being ripped off by the taxi guy who drove me (in a brand new Isuzu SUV which occured to me more like a spaceship than a car after the barely driving Marutis in Kathmandu) to Khao San Rd. I finally felt the humid weather I missed while freezing in Kathmandu.

It's incredibly clean, you have road signs, traffic lights (which are enforced!!!), trees and plants in the city, proper pavements, no power cuts, 24/7 Subway, Mc Donalds and Burger King, Mercedes and BMWs! It's like Europe, only cheaper and with far better food (try the Double Big Mac!) - nice!


Khao San Rd. is full of hookers (female, male/female and ex-male but you can't really tell), drunken tourist guys, tourist girls in hotpants competing with the hookers, food stalls that sell everything from sausages to locusts, fake shirts and ipods, fake student and journalist I.D.s and many other enjoyable things.



Music entertainment (his 'brekaing the law' was quite good)


hookers


bar on the street


Khao San Road


food


more food


christmas decoration close to MBK shopping mall



There's a lot going on right now, the government is in a crisis, there are riots and neighbouring countries warned their people not to go to Thailand. In the tourist centres business is as usual even though 24 flights were cancelled due to people forcing the aitport to close down. You have lots of security around with batons and yesterday evening someone was shooting in the street. I got one of the shells but forgot it in my room. I'll check if it was real next time. The gun and the shooting sure looked real though. Anyway, going to Cambodia tomorrow!

See you around and have fun!

1 Kommentar:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Ey, des is so krass, wie dich alle hier vermissen... Du Wichser :P

Hau rein